Vice President Kamala Harris

In honor of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, every school day The Cardinal will feature a prominent and historical Asian American or Pacific Islander, living or dead, who has worked toward change, advancement, and/or world peace. Some of them are heroes, and some are unsung heroes, who deserve recognition, and have made a contribution to society.

Jasmin Gallegos, Staff Writer

Kamala Harris was born on October 20, 1964, in Oakland, California. Kamala’s dad is Black and her mother, who passed away in 2009 was South Asian. When she was seven, her parents divorced and she moved to Canada with her mom. In 1982, after finishing high school, Harris went to Howard University in Washington D.C. where she got a degree in political science and economics. She then attended the University of California, Hastings College of the Law in California, and graduated in 1989.

She began her political career in 1990 when she became a deputy district attorney in California. After working her way through different positions she eventually ran for and was elected as district attorney of San Francisco, becoming the first-ever person of color to be elected.  She ran for two terms. Harris then ran for Attorney General of California against Steve Cooley, where she would become the first African American, South Asian woman to become Attorney General. She then ran for and became a U.S. Senator for California from 2017 to 2021. There had been rumors going around that Joe Biden, who was running for president was going to be choosing a woman for his vice president candidate. Many people speculated that it would be harris as she seemed the most qualified, Biden then confirmed the rumors in 2020. After campaigning against President Donald Trump and Mike Pence, Joe Biden, and Kamala Harris won the 2020 presidential election. Kamala Harris became the first female Vice President as well as the first Asian-American and African-American vice president. Throughout Harris’ career, she has been the first woman of color to reach such high positions. She is an inspiration that anything is possible when you try.