• March 29In the grand tradition of April Fools, we hope you enjoyed our early April Fool's! Have a great spring break!
Breaking News
  • April Showers Bring May Flowers. Don't be 'foolish' and forget your umbrella!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Don’t be nosey

Privacy, defined as, “the state or condition of being free from being observed or disturbed by other people.”

Privacy is something that I’ve always taken seriously and personally. The reason it’s so significant to me is because I tend to think of myself as an independent person. Everyone deserves at least some privacy in their life. It can be as small as closing the door after exiting a room, not barging into a room without being invited in, or as big as keeping life-changing news away from family and friends. Growing up, I’ve always been told that I should be independent. I personally think I never needed to be told that, as I was always the child that solved problems on my own and did most things alone.

Moving forward through life, I’ve listened to many philosophies, even living by multiple. Though when it comes to privacy, I tend to keep things on a “need to know” basis towards other people. Something I resonate with “privacy” is the very door that’s a part of my room. The white painted wooden rectangle shaped object with a black door knob that locks from the inside; that keeps me on one side and the rest of the world on the other. Me associating a plain door with my privacy, may seem odd to some, but I think it’s realistic. Things I keep to myself stay on the side of the door where I am, and everything else stays on the opposite side.

I value my privacy because it allows me the ability to feel like I am growing without the feeling that all eyes are on me. Privacy, whether it was in the form of a door or diary, the feeling of security it provides is like no other. Every teenager should be able to feel the safety net that privacy provides.