• June 4Graduation is this Thursday, June 6 at 5 pm!
  • June 4Have a great summer!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Teachers Are Appreciated!

The Cardinal staff shows their appreciation for teachers past and present! Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!

Ms. Woodfill

I appreciate Ms. Val Woodfill for Teacher Appreciation Week becuase she is a very great teacher at giving assignments and giving feedback.  She teaches a lot of things that we will need in real life, such as how to make a resume and things we will need for our future. Her assignments are fun and interesting and she gives us time to work on them and usually goes over it as a class to make sure we were able to understand.  When we don’t understand, she comes to help us out and sometimes sits down and helps you.  When you are really confused she makes you feel comfortable with not knowing and doesn’t make you inadequate. She talks to you about it and makes sure she gives you examples of how to do the assignment and she is very thoughtful of your feelings.

She is considerate of your mental health too.  If you are hungry, she usually has snacks that you can grab and if you bring your own food and you need to heat it up, she lets you use her microwave,  She has created a safe and caring environment where you can talk to her about almost anything like if something is going on at home or if your having relationship problems.  Ms. Woodfill is a great teacher who cares about her students’ feelings and mental health, and I appreciate her.

~Daniela Gonzalez

Mr. Pitts

The teacher I appreciate the most is Mr. Russell Pitts, who teaches IM2 math. Throughout my first and second semester of sophomore year, I was struggling in his class. I ended up failing his class due to not doing my work and lack of motivation. But luckily, I had the opportunity to retake the class during summer school. When I received my schedule and saw that I had him as a math teacher again I was excited. I knew that I would be able to pass because he encourages us to do better and to stay motivated no matter how hard things get. When I first walked into his class I went up to him and told him that I will pass his class. I used that as motivation because I wanted to keep my word and prove to him that I care and want to make a change for the better. So I started off by focusing in class and memorizing the steps to the problems and every time I didn’t understand a step I would ask for help. I would also stay during lunch every day after class to get my work done which helped me a lot because that was a way for me to keep track with my assignments. During lunch he would sit down next to me while eating his food, helping me out. Which meant a lot to me because he was taking time out of his day to help me out. He didn’t give up on me and encouraged me to try my hardest and I ended up passing with an A.

~Dhalia Arriaga

Mr. Hedgecock

Mr. Greg Hedgecock, who has become more than just a teacher; he has been a mentor, role model, and friend to many students in Hoover. Mr. Hedgecock has made a big impact on me and our students’ lives, and I’m really grateful for a lot of the lessons that he has taught me, both in and out of school. He has inspired me to try to reach my goals and achieve my potential. Mr. Hedgecock is a really great teacher, passionate about teaching students his interests, and tries to achieve different diverse learning styles to be able to help students understand. He is creative, really talkative, and helpful when we are talking about problems. He will discuss how to help and solve the problem. I will say that students should learn about Mr. Hedgecock and that people should trust him because he is a really nice person. He will genuinely appreciate how much your opinion in class matters and, out of class, how your feelings are. He really cares about his students, always mentioning that if you need help, ask, and don’t be afraid to ask. I think Mr. Hedgecock is a really good teacher to follow under his guidance. He has great knowledge and experience in areas of history that students should learn and practice, and I appreciate him.

~Oliver Almeida-Renteria

Mrs. Macias

Mrs. Elizabeth Macias is my second-period teacher. Her class is a great learning environment. She is part of the Social Justice Academy and teaches Restorative Justice. It is a delightful class. The class is great for learning about issues that go on in the world and possible solutions. The class also has circles where we sit and answer questions which helps create a community within the classroom. The class is also a calming environment. You must actively not try at all to fail because the work is interesting and helpful to what is going on around the world.  She also gives you chances to finish your assignments which is very nice because I have never met another teacher who does that.

Mrs. Macias is also a truly kind and understanding person.  She is very patient with the students in the class and caring, which is very hard when working with students. She also tries to get us to get off our phones during class even if we do not want to because it is good for us. Mrs. Macias is a very great teacher, and she cares about her students. Every person that I talked to has had a wonderful time in her class, and we all appreciate her.

~Judith Sanchez

Mr. Mellinger

I appreciate Mr. Jeff Mellinger, a positive AP and regular chemistry instructor at Hoover High. He’s often spotted walking around campus, operating lessons outdoors, or instructing in his classroom with a smile. Mr. Mellinger is dedicated to his students’ learning by going beyond typical class hours to offer lunch, before and after school, and even on weekends to provide tutoring sessions and quiet hangouts for those in need. He welcomes all students, regardless if they’re enrolled in his class to include and support students’ education in his welcoming room.

I have spent a few lunch breaks and even Saturday school sessions in his class to catch up on missed work in a supportive and comforting atmosphere. He goes above and beyond to recognize, understand, and reward students’ efforts, by hosting monthly birthday parties, and test rewards for participation and certificates for high scores. He provides further for his Saturday school students by seeing and offering little snacks if their bellies are empty that morning.

Some may think he’s strict about phone usage, but Mr Mellinger’s goal is for students to grasp all the knowledge properly for their weekly quizzes and tests. He keeps students on task and prepares them for these tests by teaching studying skills to use in the future. He uses the scores of assessments to track and adapt his lessons to each student’s learning needs. Each day Mr. Mellinger motivated and helped keep me focused on fascinating lessons that have taught me a lot about how the world works.

~Kenia Ortiz

Ms. Westfall

Ms. Jane Westfall has done more than simply instructing me and others in the classroom, and has had a great impact on my life. She is an amazing teacher because she genuinely cares about each student on campus and knows what it takes for us to be successful. Ms. Westfall is amazing because of the personal connections she builds with each of us. Like waiting outside her classroom each period and greeting each of her students with a smile and a fist bump. She is not simply a teacher, but a person who understands each of us, our challenges, our goals, and our strengths. Her class is a secure space where everyone is valued and heard. She has, in my opinion, given me more confidence in myself and helped me recognize my strengths and weaknesses. She has also been a hardworking person when it comes to AHHC. She tries her best to get every possible opportunity to help the AHHC members succeed in their chosen profession. Ms. Westfall overall had taught me to believe in myself and to care for others, and I appreciate her!

~Emanuel Cruz

Mrs. Teuthorn

The teacher that I appreciate the most and has influenced my life is Mrs. Katherine Teuthorn. She teaches Math IM1. I had her my freshman year of high school. My first year, I was very shy and I didnt really open up to anyone, especially any of my teachers. Even in the beginning of the year, I was always slacking off in class and not doing my work. At the time, I was really struggling with math but she was always very understanding and helped me whenever I didn’t understand something. This allowed me to open myself up and communicate more. I think she’s a great teacher because she never gives up on her students and makes sure they are always on track. She makes sure that her students feel safe and welcomed and fills her class with lots of love and support. She is also a very trusting teacher, she is always there for me when I need something. I appreciate her for always caring and never giving up on me. I think something that everyone can learn from her is to not give up on your education no matter how hard a class can get. I think the main thing is just communicating with your teachers and letting them know you don’t understand something.

~Sarai Mendoza

Mr. Geyer

One of my favorite teachers that impacted my life is Mr. Seth Geyer, who was my 5th grade teacher at Hamilton Elementary. He was stubborn, sassy, smart, and a no-nonsense type of teacher, and he was one of the first people that made me believe that I could be something. He would teach us everything but what stuck with me is what he would teach in math because he taught it so well that even I could understand it, and at that time it seemed like nothing I learned for math seemed to help me understand it better until he taught me.  Math suddenly all made sense. When I got my mathematicians award, I was so happy even though no one was there because they didn’t think I could get that award, but he congratulated me. He always said to have high hopes and to achieve high things because if you dream high, you might just achieve it or achieve at least something. I’m so grateful I met Mr.Geyer because he really made me believe that I could be something and that my dreams weren’t stupid but could be achieved, and that I shouldn’t just give up when I haven’t even tried.

~Jaylah Storey

Ms. Morales

Mrs. Diana Morales, a kindergarten teacher at Joyner Elementary, is deeply appreciated for all she does and has done. Being in an unfamiliar space can be a wrecking experience, and for me it certainly was. I was happy to find out that she spoke Spanish, especially because in elementary school, I was an English language learner, and I struggled to communicate with the other children. Most times during recess I sat by myself and only had parent volunteers to keep me company. I was lucky to have a teacher who encouraged me to engage in activities despite not understanding much. She pushed me to do my best when it came to learning English and speaking to the other children. I’ll always appreciate her for challenging me to speak to the boy that was playing in the sand box because it changed everything for me. If she hadn’t forced me to speak to that boy that day then I wouldn’t have met one of my current best friends.  The act of interacting with others opened countless doors for me. Because of that interaction, I gained the confidence to engage with the other children on my own. I’ll always be thankful to Ms. Morales for her dedication as a teacher. and putting in the time to help students like me improve.

~Cynthia Navarro

Ms. Silvas

At Joyner Elementary, when I was in 5th grade, I had an amazing teacher who left a big mark in my life. Ms. Charity Silvas was the most comforting, loving teacher anyone could ask for. She always made sure her students were okay, and treated every single one of us like if we were her own kids. She was fun, caring, and understanding.  While I was in her class, I was going through a very difficult time and she was my comfort person. I would talk to her about how my dad was in an immigrant detention center while he was fighting his legal status. Ms. Silvas made sure she would listen to me and understand how hard this was for me. I always received the most genuine advice and hugs from her. Ever since I was promoted from Joyner, her sweet words and kindness have stuck with me throughout middle school and are still an inspiration to me. She taught me that no matter what I’m going through, keep my head up and that everything will get better. She has truly impacted my life and is a major role model for me. I appreciate Ms. Silvas, and hope she’s doing great and I hope to see her soon!

~Monse Sanchez