Over the Mountain Top

Alissa Porter, Staff Writer

Martin Luther King Jr. was a Baptist minister and social activist, who led the Civil Rights Movement in the United States from the mid-1950s until his death by assassination in 1968.

Martin Luther King Day is a federal holiday held on the third Monday of January. It celebrates the life and achievements of Martin Luther King Jr. On Nov. 2, 1983, President Ronald Reagan signed a bill making Martin Luther King Day a federal holiday, effective Jan. 20, 1986.

For myself, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. represents a struggle for civil rights and social justice. A brave man who inspired and lead a movement that in many ways continues, although in a different form, today. His strong belief in nonviolent tactics elevated what was perceived about African Americans; we are equals. Dr. King made a huge impact on our world but racism still lingers and people still don’t like each other because of the color of their skin. Many people start to  feel uncomfortable around others. That’s when leaders come in and make sure people still have strength and to be okay with their skin color by creating groups, organizations, and movements.

A powerful group that was inspired by Dr. King is Black Lives Matter (BLM), an international activist movement originating in the African-American community, that campaigns against violence and systemic racism towards black people.

At Hoover, Ms. Noyes started the Black Student Union (BSU), a cultural, educational, and social initiatives club that aims to build leaders, promote unity and contribute to student success. It’s not just for black students, but for anyone in our school and community. On January 15th, while you’re sleeping in, take a moment of your time to reflect on how far we came as people of the Earth and how much farther we have to go.

• Over the Mountain Top

Culture

“Slavery Was A Choice”

• Over the Mountain Top

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Chef Tina Luu

• Over the Mountain Top

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Sung Kang

• Over the Mountain Top

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Brenda Song

• Over the Mountain Top

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Brandon Lee

• Over the Mountain Top

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Don Ho

• Over the Mountain Top

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Yuri Kochiyama

• Over the Mountain Top

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Ken Jeong

• Over the Mountain Top

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Roman Reigns

• Over the Mountain Top

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

James Hong

Over the Mountain Top