• March 29In the grand tradition of April Fools, we hope you enjoyed our early April Fool's! Have a great spring break!
Breaking News
  • April Showers Bring May Flowers. Don't be 'foolish' and forget your umbrella!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Morgan Freeman

In honor of Black History Month, every school day The Cardinal will feature a prominent and/or historical Black American, living or dead, who has worked toward change, advancement, and/or world peace. Some of them are heroes, and some are unsung heroes, who deserve recognition, and have made contributions to make society a better place.
Morgan+Freeman

Morgan Freeman was born on June 1, 1937 and is an American actor, filmmaker, and narrator known for his distinctive, deep voice.

Freeman is described as one of the best actors of his generation. If you have seen movies or tv shows with him, then you should know his background.  He first “acted” in a school play. It was three years later that he won his first award in the acting scene, he won a drama competition at the age of twelve, in Chicago, Illinois, his final home state.  Freeman did more jobs that included acting, however in 1968 he got his first official acting job. He made his debut in the broadway musical, Hello Dolly.

In 1971, Freeman starred in the children’s show, The Electric Company.  Freeman’s Hollywood breakthrough film was the 1989 biographical drama Lean on Me, in which he portrays the principal of an under-performing and drug- and crime-ridden New Jersey high school.  Though one of his most iconic roles was in The Shawshank Redemption.  In the film he plays Red, a guy who murdered his wife and killed their child and neighbor, which landed him in prison.

He has been in many famous movies, such as Olympus Has Fallen series, Now You See Me Now You Don’t, Million Dollar Baby, and Batman Begins.  He is credited as one of the best actors and has won twenty three awards whether with his cast or by himself an award. His voice is very deep therefore a lot of directors use his voice as a narrator depending on the story that is being portrayed.

The journalist Radhika Sanghani writes that his “deeply reassuring voice, with its mellifluous tones and authoritative presence, is why an entire generation still hear his trademark tones when they think of the almighty”