• March 29In the grand tradition of April Fools, we hope you enjoyed our early April Fool's! Have a great spring break!
Breaking News
  • April Showers Bring May Flowers. Don't be 'foolish' and forget your umbrella!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Hoover’s haunted house thrills and chills

This annual event is in its 14th year!

Hoover’s annual haunted house, Legends in the Dark, was based on all the scary legends that are told and some of our favorites.

There were eight sections of the house and each one was a different legend or scary theme. The haunted house opened the 24th of October through the 26th and a haunted house homecoming special for Hoco, where for a $3 admission,students that went to the dance could attend. On Monday October 30, the crew opened the haunted house for a group of VIPs, Hoover’s students with needs who cannot come in the evening.

Building this haunted house took a lot of teamwork and planning to come up with a theme and going over each section.  There were four seniors in charge this year, Erza Bajrami, Mireya Perez, Mekah Walker, and lead senior Nicolas Tapia-Morales. Each section crew had to order things to decorate according to their theme or storyline and had to find costumes to fit the theme.

Then the students started decorating their sections and had to black out the rooms and figure out a way to make it work but something that would be easy to clean up too. As always, the first night was the slowest but it allowed the actors to get into character and they really scared the students who came through.  The 2nd and 3rd day were pretty full. The path was changed for day three, and a new entrance was created for the Hoco dance evening.

Students that went through the haunted house thought it was really cool and scary but also a fun experience and admission was $5 for students and kids, and $8 for adults. For people who don’t want to or can’t spend a lot of money on other venues like Haunted Trails or big expensive haunted houses, this is a great affordable event for the whole family.  There were a number of parents that came in with their children.

“This year’s haunted house was planned pretty well and organized,” said junior Oliver Almeida. “I really liked it, and my favorite part of it all was getting to see how scared people were while going through it.”

The haunted house was mainly for the Hoover students and the surrounding community.  There were students from Wilson and Clark who stopped by as well.  This annual event would not have happened if it wasn’t for the creativity of Hoover alumni Rocio Hernandez, Class of 2009.