• March 29In the grand tradition of April Fools, we hope you enjoyed our early April Fool's! Have a great spring break!
Breaking News
  • April Showers Bring May Flowers. Don't be 'foolish' and forget your umbrella!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

The holidays are about food!

Christmas is a holiday celebrated throughout the world. With different cultures come different dishes but what they all have in common is the importance of food throughout this magical day.

In American households one of the main dishes would be baked ham with a side of mashed potatoes. This dish is extremely delicious and is also shared across the globe. Some important dishes for Hispanics would be tamales and pozoles along with champurrado. These dishes are significantly important throughout this time because of how much time and preparation it takes to make these. For Hispanics, these dishes aren’t exactly their average everyday food but are rather saved for special occasions.

Asian cultures are infamous for having multiple dishes throughout the holidays and take pride in their desserts. Some desserts to keep in mind would be Tangyuan. This is a Chinese dessert that is served in hot broth or syrup. It is mainly made of rice flour along with water and is wrapped with many different flavors like peanut or matcha. Throughout the holidays people look forward to the food. Since Christmas follows Thanksgiving, the dishes are always top tier.

As someone who lives in a Mexican household, I always know the food around the holidays will be the best. In my house we always invite people over and they always bring food with them. There are always numerous dishes throughout this time, one of my favorites being relleno. Relleno is initially pork meat filled with potatoes,carrots and pineapple. The cluster of flavors blend so well together. This dish can be eaten with rice, bread and/or tortillas. This is one of my favorite dishes and is something I always look forward to. One of my favorite desserts would be champurrado since it is a drink to keep you warm throughout the holiday weather. Ultimately throughout the holidays we have been able to enjoy each other’s cultures and food due to the grand selection of delicious dishes.