• May 3Mean Girls The Musical opens on May 10! Students $10, General Admission $15
  • May 3"That's so Fetch!"

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Larry Itliong

In honor of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, every school day The Cardinal will feature a prominent and historical Asian American or Pacific Islander, living or dead, who has worked toward change, advancement, and/or world peace. Some of them are heroes, and some are unsung heroes, who deserve recognition, and have made a contribution to society.
Larry+Itliong

Larry Itliong was a Filipino American known as “ Seven fingers” who was a labor organizer and civil rights activist who played a big role in the founding of the United States Farmers also known as USF. And he organized the West Coast agricultural workers starting in the 1930’s, which rose to national prominence in 1965 .

Itliong was born October 25th 1913 born in the Pangasinan province of the Philippines, then a U.S. territory. He was one of six children to Artemio and Francesca Itliong, he only had a sixth grade education. His first ever strike was when he first immigrated to the United States and joined his first strike in 1929. He was one among 1,500 farm workers that walked out of lettuce fields in Monroe, Washington As part of a strike. This was  one of many strikes that he went to for the growing movement of Filipino workers. Itliong, Benjamin Gines and Pete Velasco walked off the farms of area table grape growers, to demand fair and equal wages to the federal minimum wage  and that strike became known as the Delano Grape Strike. He has also been known or described as “ one of the fathers of the West Coast Labor Movement.”