• June 4Graduation is this Thursday, June 6 at 5 pm!
  • June 4Have a great summer!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Amy Tan

In honor of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, every school day The Cardinal will feature a prominent and historical Asian American or Pacific Islander, living or dead, who has worked toward change, advancement, and/or world peace. Some of them are heroes, and some are unsung heroes, who deserve recognition, and have made a contribution to society.
2013: Author, Amy Tan, in her home in Sausalito, California.

Amy Tan was born on February 19, 1952. She is best known as a Chinese American writer and novelist. Her parents were both Chinese immigrants. Amy began her path as a writer, she wanted to use words to create stories so people can understand what she went through and her life. One of her best known novels was “The Joy Luck Club”. This novel went on to be one of New York Times best selling books. It was later even adapted into a movie in 1993. This novel was a huge turning point for Amy’s career and Asian American literature.

Amy would join writers workshops to help her with her writer’s block. Her second novel “The Kitchen God’s Wife” focuses on the relationship between an immigrant Chinese mother and her American daughter. When writing this story, Amy was talking about her mother, Daisy. Most of her novels that she wrote were related to her actual life. She won many awards like the Carl Sandburg Literary Award and was presented the National Humanities Medal.

Amy Tan was a very important writer, her stories tell life experiences that many people can relate to. This has also inspired many people who may come from the same kind of past as her to keep on going with their dreams of becoming a writer or giving voice to those of her culture.