• March 29In the grand tradition of April Fools, we hope you enjoyed our early April Fool's! Have a great spring break!
Breaking News
  • April Showers Bring May Flowers. Don't be 'foolish' and forget your umbrella!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Venustiano Carranza

In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, every school day The Cardinal will feature a prominent and historical Hispanic American, living or dead, who has worked toward change, advancement, and/or world peace. Some of them are heroes, and some are unsung heroes, who deserve recognition, and have made a contribution to society.
Venustiano+Carranza

Venustiano Carranza was a prominent figure during the Mexican Revolution. He was born on December 29, 1859, in Cuatro Cienegas, Coahuila, Mexico. Carranza was a politician and military leader who played a crucial role in the overthrow of President Porfirio Diaz.

Carranza was a supporter of Franciso Madero and joined the revolution against Diaz’s dictatorship. After Madero’s assassination, Carranza became a key figure in the fight for constitutional reform and the establishment of a new government in Mexico.  In 1914, Carranza became the President of Mexico and implemented various reforms, including land redistribution and labor reforms. He also played a role in drafting the Mexican constitution of 1917, which is still in effect today. Carranza’s presidency was marked by political and military challenges, including conflicts with other revolutionary leaders such as Pancho Villa and Emiliano Zapata. In 1920, Carranza was forced to flee the capital during a rebellion led by Alvaro Obregon. He was later captured and assassinated on May 21, 1920, In Tlaxcalantongo, Puebla, Mexico.  Venustiano Carranza’s legacy is mixed, as he is both praised for his contributions to the Mexican Revolution and criticized for tendencies during his presidency.