• March 29In the grand tradition of April Fools, we hope you enjoyed our early April Fool's! Have a great spring break!
Breaking News
  • April Showers Bring May Flowers. Don't be 'foolish' and forget your umbrella!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Ritchie Valens

In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, every school day The Cardinal will feature a prominent and historical Hispanic American, living or dead, who has worked toward change, advancement, and/or world peace. Some of them are heroes, and some are unsung heroes, who deserve recognition, and have made a contribution to society.
Ritchie+Valens

Richard Steven Valenzuela also known as Ritchie Valens was a Mexican-American guitarist, singer, and songwriter. He was born May 13, 1941, in Los Angeles, California.

Valens was also known to be the first Latino rock and roll star. Valens grew up in the suburbs of Los Angeles and during high school, he started playing the electric guitar that gained Bob Keane´s attention. Keane was the owner of Del-Fi records that gave Valens popularity. Valens grew to success when few Latinos were heard mainstream in American Rock and pop music. Valens may be best known for his major hit song “La Bamba”. He changed the way music was heard and paved the way for musicians such as Los Lobos, Los Lonely Boys and Carlos Santana. Without Ritchie Valens, Latino music would not be how it is today.

Sadly, Ritchie Valens was only 17 years old when he tragically passed away but made an impact on the music culture. Valens died in a plane crash in Iowa, an accident that also claimed the lives of fellow musicians Buddy Holly and J. P. “The Big Bopper” Richardson. The day he passed away became known as “The Day the music died.”