• June 4Graduation is this Thursday, June 6 at 5 pm!
  • June 4Have a great summer!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Frank Emi

In honor of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, every school day The Cardinal will feature a prominent and historical Asian American or Pacific Islander, living or dead, who has worked toward change, advancement, and/or world peace. Some of them are heroes, and some are unsung heroes, who deserve recognition, and have made a contribution to society.
Frank+Emi

Frank Emi was born in 1916 Los Angeles, and his family are of Japanese descent. He was a Japanese American Civil Rights Activist. At a young age, he and his family were forced to leave California, Los Angeles to go to an internment camp which was in Wyoming, during World War II. Here at the internment camp, he resisted serving in combat without becoming a full citizen and by doing this, he showed  many men that they could resist going into combat  unless they became a citizen of the United States.  He was also known for being a leading figure in the Heart Mountain Fair Play community. Not only did he resist getting drafted, he also started a hoc group that protested for the drafting of Japanese Americans during World War II.  Emi was one of the leaders of a resistance movement who dared question the legality of drafting Japanese American men. Emi was very brave for standing up to soldiers to show other Japanese Americans that it was unjust to enlist men who were stripped of their right to be citizens but were forced into military services.  He died December 1, 2010, at 94 years old in West Covina.