• June 4Graduation is this Thursday, June 6 at 5 pm!
  • June 4Have a great summer!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Shohei Ohtani

In honor of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, every school day The Cardinal will feature a prominent and historical Asian American or Pacific Islander, living or dead, who has worked toward change, advancement, and/or world peace. Some of them are heroes, and some are unsung heroes, who deserve recognition, and have made a contribution to society.
Shohei+Ohtani

Shohei Ohtani, also known as “Showtime in baseball,” is a Japanese professional baseball pitcher and designated hitter for the Los Angeles Dodgers of Major League Baseball. He has previously played in the MLB for the Los Angeles Angels and the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters of Nippon Professional Baseball. Ohtani became the first player in the history of the MLB to have 10+ home runs, 20+ stolen bases as a hitter, 100+ strikeouts, and 10+ pitching appearances as a pitcher in the same season. He also holds at least a share of the major league lead in home runs in 14 starts. Back in November, Ohtani donated more than 60,000 baseball gloves to 20,000 elementary schools in Japan. At the peak of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, he donated to the Japan Mask Project, an initiative to supply masks to medical workers. Another of his biggest contributions is that Ohtani made it possible for people from his own country to travel thousands of miles away in order to watch him play in Major League Baseball game. and his most recent charity, along with his team, was donating $1 million to victims of a series of earthquakes that shook Japan’s western coast.