• March 29In the grand tradition of April Fools, we hope you enjoyed our early April Fool's! Have a great spring break!
Breaking News
  • April Showers Bring May Flowers. Don't be 'foolish' and forget your umbrella!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Ice Cube

In honor of Black History Month, every school day The Cardinal will feature a prominent and/or historical Black American, living or dead, who has worked toward change, advancement, and/or world peace. Some of them are heroes, and some are unsung heroes, who deserve recognition, and have made a contributions to make society a better place.
Ice+Cube

O’Shea Jackson, but well known as Ice Cube, was born June 15, 1969 in Los Angeles, California.

He is best known for his music, movies, and deadly stare. O’Shea Jackson has been in many music bands that have included Eazy E and other famous rappers. He was in the Friday film series, which was a comedy film about living in the “hood.” He was also in Straight Outta Compton, which depicts the lives of the gangsta rap group, N.W.A. This group also included famous rapper Eazy E.

Ice Cube’s film debut was in John Singleton’s Boyz n the Hood. Cube cowrote the screenplay for the 1995 comedy Friday, a look at one single Friday in the life of two friends, Craig Jones (Cube) and Smokey, played by Chris Tucker, in South Central LA.

Cube went on to be the police chief in 21 and 22 Jump street. His acting has made him famous but his song that could be considered his “debut” song was “It Was A Good Day.”

Cube’s third album, The Predator, was released in November 1992. Referring to the 1992 Los Angeles riots, the song “Wicked” opens, “April 29 was power to the people, and we might just see a sequel.” The Predator was the first album ever to debut at No. 1 on both the R&B/hip-hop and pop charts. Singles include “It Was a Good Day” and “Check Yo Self.”

Ice Cube has been nominated for many awards. He was honored with star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame held on June 12, 2017, in Hollywood.  Recently, he received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award as a member of the group, N.W.A.