• March 29In the grand tradition of April Fools, we hope you enjoyed our early April Fool's! Have a great spring break!
Breaking News
  • April Showers Bring May Flowers. Don't be 'foolish' and forget your umbrella!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Harriet Tubman

In honor of Black History Month, every school day The Cardinal will feature a prominent and/or historical Black American, living or dead, who has worked toward change, advancement, and/or world peace. Some of them are heroes, and some are unsung heroes, who deserve recognition, and have made a contributions to make society a better place.
Harriet+Tubman
Library of Congress

Harriet Tubman was an American abolitionist and social activist who was born in March 1822 in Dorchester County.

Tubman was born into slavery and was constantly beaten and whipped by her enslavers her whole life. Tubman escaped slavery in Philadelphia and decided to return to Maryland to help others escape as well.  Slowly, one group at a time, she brought relatives with her out of the state, and eventually guided dozens of other enslaved people to freedom. Using a network of houses and paths, she created the Underground Railroad. Often called “Moses,” she traveled by night and in extreme secrecy, and later said she “never lost a passenger.”

Tubman began by helping free her family then, over time, she was able to move to different areas to free more enslaved people. As she moved forward, Tubman worked for the Union Army as a cook and nurse but then was able to become an armed scout and spy. She was given the credit as the first woman to lead an armed expedition in the war since she led the raid at Combahee Ferry in which she helped liberate 700 enslaved people.

After the Civil War, Tubman retired to take care of her parents although she was very active in the women’s suffrage movement up until she got sick. She became an icon for courage and freedom throughout the world.  Tubman died of pneumonia on March 10, 1913.