• March 29In the grand tradition of April Fools, we hope you enjoyed our early April Fool's! Have a great spring break!
Breaking News
  • April Showers Bring May Flowers. Don't be 'foolish' and forget your umbrella!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Selena

In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, every school day The Cardinal will feature a prominent and historical Hispanic American, living or dead, who has worked toward change, advancement, and/or world peace. Some of them are heroes, and some are unsung heroes, who deserve recognition, and have made a contribution to society.
Selena

Selena Quintanila-Perez was born on April 16, 1971 in Lake Jackson, Texas. She was an American Tejano singer known just as Selena, but also referred to as the “Queen of Tejano Music.”

She made her first recording debut in the late 1980s and by 1989, became a best selling artist. Her parents are Abraham Quintanila , and Marcella Ofellia Quintanila. She first began singing when she was eight years old, she and her siblings were taught by their father Abramham Quintanila who played with Los Dinos, a Tejano band. Selena’s fashion style and contributions to music made her one of the most famous celebrated Mexican-American singers. Selena is one of the most influential Latin artists of all time and is credited for making a music genre into the mainstream market. She was also an example and beacon to people caught between two cultures which are Mexican and American, but she was proud of her identity which you can see and hear in her songs when she would sing in both Spanish and English, and proved that Tejano is it’s own culture that deserves to be celebrated.

She died March 31 1995 , at the age of 25, at a Days Inn in Corpus Christi, Texas.  In October 1995, a Houston jury convicted Yolanda Saldívar of first-degree murder and she was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole after 30 years in 2025.

Dreaming of You is the fifth and final studio album by American singer Selena. Released posthumously on July 18, 1995, by EMI Latin and EMI Records, it was an immediate commercial and critical success, debuting atop the United States Billboard 200—the first predominately Spanish-language album to do so. It sold 175,000 copies on its first day of release in the U.S.—a then-record for a female vocalist.