• March 29In the grand tradition of April Fools, we hope you enjoyed our early April Fool's! Have a great spring break!
Breaking News
  • April Showers Bring May Flowers. Don't be 'foolish' and forget your umbrella!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Unique…different…intriguing

Unique...different...intriguing

Melanie Adele Martinez, also known as Cry Baby, is an artistic actress, singer and songwriter, who was born on April 28, 1995, in Astoria, New York.

She grew up with a rough relationship with her family as she discovered her bisexuality, which they have now accepted and strengthened their bond. Melanie attended Plaza Elementary School, where she learned how to sing from an early age from her teacher, Mr. Nadienand, and began writing poetry in kindergarten.

Martinez first collected fame through her arrival on season three of the singing competition show, The Voice, in 2012. Her association with the show brought familiarization to an audience well enough for her now worldwide fanbase. In 2015, Martinez released her iconic album Cry Baby. It was certified double-platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America. The album is based on the character Cry Baby, an emotional girl in a world of challenges. The album succeeded in showcasing storytelling within her music. Throughout Melanie’s career, she released her follow-up albums, K-12 (2019) and Portals (2023). Beyond her musical work, Melanie Martinez has written, directed, and acted, starring in the musical film K-12. She is dedicated to what she produces as a perfectionist, enduring only love from her fan base.

Martinez is known for her unique voice, characterized by a spooky sweet theme. She is admirable not only for the tonal quality of her voice but also for the messages in her work. I adore what she would call a “very dark and honest” display because she brings awareness of the imperfections in the real world with a twisted lovable style that often originates from her personal experiences. Her songs address innocence, vulnerability, and the not-so-pretty parts of life, making her an inspirational figure in the music industry. The combination of her work always gets one thinking of how the polluted world functions and how one can reach growth out of it. She formed herself a high stature as a bold pop artist who never fears to address unconventional yet real themes in the world with her combination of music and storytelling solidifying her as a true artist.