• March 29In the grand tradition of April Fools, we hope you enjoyed our early April Fool's! Have a great spring break!
Breaking News
  • April Showers Bring May Flowers. Don't be 'foolish' and forget your umbrella!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Everyone needs to be aware

Social media has allowed us to communicate with each other and has been a great way for people to experience moments together, but unfortunately it has also become a platform in which many people have experienced online exploitation. The victims of online exploitation may experience forms of abuse, such as cyberbullying and harassment. This happens mostly to teenagers because we are the ones who use social media the most.

Social media has had a huge impact on teenagers in a positive but also negative way. It has changed their ways of communicating and has affected their social skills. It has also had some positive effects on teens, as it allows them to build connections and support each other. However, I think that it could also cause lots of harm. Social media platforms can be the cause of online exploitation. There are many cases in which kids can be getting bullied online and others can make fun of them for it. Without even knowing by doing this, it can cause harm to others.

We can help prevent minors from online exploitation on social media platforms by communicating with a friend. If you see a friend that may be bullying or sending a mean text to someone, try talking to them and let them know that it’s wrong. If you see that a friend’s mood starts to seem off or upset after using their phone, talk to them and ask them if everything is okay. It’s important to keep our eyes open and provide help and support for those who might be in this situation. For parents it’s also important to communicate with their child and make sure they don’t spend too much time on social media. Any mean or rude comment can ruin someone’s day. People should be mindful of what they say to others.